Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nutella Espresso Mousse



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day! I know a lot of people think this is a Hallmark holiday, but it is nonetheless a great day to show that special person in your life how much you love them. And what better way to show that, than in the form of food, by making a dinner at home from scratch rather than going out. We always stay home, but that is because Valentine's Day is also my husbands birthday. I always cook him a special by request meal and tomorrow will be no different. He picked a wonderful authentic German meal for his birthday dinner and he could not be more excited about it. If you are a fan of my facebook page you know I have already spilled the beans of what I'm cooking. The recipes will certainly be featured soon. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you already have your dinner plans for tomorrow firmed up as well, but if you are still looking for that final touch without a lot of fuss, then look no further.

Sometimes we tend to "over-think" desserts when in reality, simple can just be as effective and tasty. I had it in my head that I wanted to feature a chocolate mousse. After looking through some of my cookbooks I knew I didn't want to mess with raw eggs in my recipe that many versions suggested. I was looking for something simpler. I also wanted to kick up the flavors so instead of chocolate I decided I was going to use Nutella. Trying to think of ways to enhance the hazelnut flavor, Frangelico liqueur was my logical choice and to take it just a step further I figured espresso powder would harmonize with the mousse as well. For the espresso powder I have come to love the Starbucks Via packets. They pack a lot of flavor and incorporate beautifully into wet or dry ingredients.

This recipe literally does not get much easier and with only a handful of ingredients it won't break the bank either. Heavy Cream, a Starbucks Via packet, Frangelico liqueur and of course the star of this concoction; Nutella. The ingredients get mixed with a handmixer until everything comes together and the mixture forms soft peaks. Fill into your favorite dessert glasses and chill for a few hours in the refrigerator. Before serving, you can top the mousse with additional whipped cream or simply place some fruit on top. Easy, yet elegant, and the flavor is amazing! It tastes rich, full of chocolate with a hint of coffee. Even my non-chocolate loving husband gave this one the thumbs up. Think of this one as a chocolate pudding for grown-ups and spoil your special someone with this recipe tomorrow, he or she might thank you later ;o)


Nutella Espresso Mousse
(A Susi's Kochen und Backen Original) 
~makes 4 servings~

(Printable Version)

Ingredients:
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1 Starbucks Via Italian Roast Packet (1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder will work also)
 2 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur (Kahlua would be wonderful as well)
3/4 cup Nutella
Whipped Cream and Berries for topping (optional)

Preparation:
Combine heavy cream and espresso powder in a medium mixing bowl. Stir together. Add Frangelico and Nutella. Beat with an electric mixer 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and continue beating until soft peaks form. At this point the mousse is very soft/loose, but will firm up once chilled. Divide the mixture into the serving dishes of your choice and chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
If desired, top with additional whipped cream or berries just before serving.

34 comments:

  1. With our recent discovery of Nutella, this goes on the must try list! We did a plain chocolate pudding that I'm going to post tomorrow, and I think yours puts it to shame!
    Lovely photos Susi, I can't tell you how nice it is to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mousse looks beautiful! Love the photos and I bet it is so tasty! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos...and that mousse sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! I'm missing a few ingredients, but I think I'll pick them up tomorrow and make these for my family. 2 tablespoons of liquor, divided into 4 servings... That should be fine despite my pregnancy, I think. Thanks for this, I love learning new ways to eat nutella! (My usual way is on a spoon, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you! :) This mousse sounds simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "Frangelico", dear :) Thank you so much for sharing this delightfully simple (but heavily) recipe. It's perfect for a pleasant Valentine's Day in with your loved one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect dessert and could it be any easier? Wird ausprobiert! Danke.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are perfect! Although I do like the mousse made with raw eggs, this couldn't be easier and you can't go wrong with nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lately, I am loving simpler desserts Susi and this is one I will be trying. I love that there are no eggs in it. Your presentation is gorgeous and I bet it is just heavenly tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate mousse has got to be the perfect Valentine's Day dessert. Your Nutella version looks sooo gorgeous! I love the fluffy texture and the no-raw-eggs bit. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. V-day or not, this mousse looks fantastic and I could never say no to Nutella and espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! Susi you are back!

    What a beautiful dessert for Valentine's Day. I am going to check out your fb page to see that fabulous meal.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can just imagine the cool, creamy, and light texture in my mouth. Mmmm. Very sexy and beautiful dessert with lovely photos to showcase it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are right...desserts, especially at Valentine's Day, are often waaayyy over-thought. I love the simplicity of this mousse...and the Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun that your husband's b-day is on Valentine's day. You get to spoil him even more! I love this simple yet stunning chocolate dessert. You can't go wrong with nutella! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Take time to love yourself and those that are dearest to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susi, this looks decadent! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so decadent and wonderful! Who could say no to this delicious dessert, especially on Valentine's Day?! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  18. So yummy and so quick...love it! Nutella is pretty much an automatic win in my book. ;) Yes, I admit to my obsessions...eheheheh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susi, so glad you're back online. I hope you're in better health and spirits! Loving this mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooo! This looks delicious. I would have to make it without the espresso though. (Can you believe I don't like coffee?)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have all these ingredients! This looks fantastic and I'll bet tastes phenomenal. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Susi- This Nutella mousse looks fabulous! I bet it was delicious. Such lovely photos. Happy Valentine's Day, my dear:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this mousse! Chocolate/nutella and coffee always pair well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks delish. And so easy! Congrats on your top 9.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These Nutella espresso mousses turned out gorgeous and look luscious. I just want to dip a spoon in one of those tini glasses! Beautifully done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fantastic. I am very eager to try this. Congrats on the Top 9.

    We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite posts on Food Frenzy.
    Please check out our community at http://blogstew.net/foodfrenzy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I dont drink/consume alcohol..any substitute for the frangelico?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anonymous - you can just leave the frangelico out of the recipe and it should still be very tasty. However, you could add a teaspoon of hazelnut flavoring (the kind coffee houses use) which would work great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nutella is my favorite. I always search new nutella recipes. This is quiet easy and I can say this will taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's just amazing.For Best WhatsApp Status just visit Best WhatsApp Status

    ReplyDelete
  31. it's been an amazing experience visiting your website.Thanks for sharing.
    edublogs

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails