Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes



If there was a perfect combination of lemon and more lemon than these cupcakes would be it. As a proclaimed citrus and especially lemon and lime fanatic, these little clouds of heaven were a dream come true for me. I loved everything about these little cakes and would not change a thing. Modeled after traditional Lemon Meringue Pie it has everything and more packaged in a compact size.

The cake part was light and fluffy with the faint scent and taste of lemons. The lemon curd on top is the little component that will smack you with intense lemon flavor through and through. It is smooth, creamy and oh so lemony. And to top it all off, you have "marshmallow fluff" in the form of a 7-Minute frosting which represents the meringue of a regular pie.



I started the process by making the lemon curd which needs to chill for a while in the fridge. I was hesitant as I had read a few reviews for this particular recipe and people had problems getting the curd to get thick. This was not the case here. I just kept stirring the lemon, sugar and egg mixture over a double boiler until it got thick enough to coat the back of a spoon which took almost 20 minutes.

The cake is just a plain vanilla batter with the addition of lemon zest, lemon juice, and buttermilk. This  transformed it into a light cake with the subtle taste of lemon.

The frosting of this cupcake is a 7-Minute frosting which I have used on my Coconut Cupcakes, S'mores Cupcakes, and Snickerdoodle Cupcakes before. The only difference was that I got to use my kitchen blow torch to lightly toast the meringue.



This cupcake will be made for many more occasions to come. In fact I will be trying out different combinations, as you can make any kind of citrus curd along with adding the zest and juice from different fruits to the batter to change things up. I'm looking forward to trying this with limes, grapefruits and even oranges.

Martha Stewart and her fabulous cookbook Martha Stewart's cupcakes has not had one disappointing recipe so far.  Her instructions are precise and easy to follow. Yes, many of her cupcakes are more time consuming than opening a boxed mix, but if you are willing to invest just a little bit more, you will get results that blow you and everyone else lucky enough to try the goodies, away.

So if lemon meringue pie, cupcakes, or anything else lemon makes you as happy as me, then go ahead and buy her book or check out the RECIPE on her website.

19 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I'm consistently impressed by your baking prowess. And I'm a wee bit jealous of your kitchen torch. I've always wanted one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone, and mw: the kitchen torch isn't too expensive and you just refill it with butane. It's actually quite handy and oh so much fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not the price stopping me, it's the funny eye I get from my husband when I say I want one. He seems to think it frivolous. Maybe if I tell him I'll let HIM do all the torching... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mw, I have to "torch" goodies while my husband is at work or he wants to play with the kitchen torch LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am literally drooling over here. These look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How far in advance can you make the meringue frosting? Could I make these this afternoon and torch them this evening? Send me an email... I'll be in the kitchen.
    sandimcmc at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susi~ I posted my cupcakes... they aren't as fabulous as yours. :-{)
    Thanks for 'sitting' in my kitchen and helping with my questions about the icing. It worked fine after several hours in the fridge.
    Thanks bunches

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anytime Sandi - glad you had fun making them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. Where can I find the receipe>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hamptons Event Planner, here is the link for the recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/lemon-meringue-cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice recipe Susi! Featured this on my blog. The cupcakes look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Man..... I'm going to have to make these..... These are blog heaven eye candy ! Jules ~ The Dragonfly on Iron Gate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make a lot of "gourmet" cupcakes. I made these this week and WOW! They are to die for. They were a HUGE hit and the function I took them to. I only got one and will need to make them again so I can have another. AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So yummy looking!!! Drool...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the best application on the drop today. There access to enjoy great moments of relaxation . Great! Thanks for sharing the information.Summon creatures to fight enemy units and demolish the opposing castle. Your castle is equipped with a crossbow, which you can use to shoot enemies . Make sure you upgrade skills to increase your chances of winning battles.:
    age of war 2 | age of war 5 | age of war 6 | age of war 4


    The goal of Age of War is to survive longer than the computer and to outlast him you’ll need to train the right troops while balancing your offence and defence in this high paced, quick thinking flash game . Train troops of you own to combat the computers. As you kill off the computer troops, you will gain EXP and you will eventually advance to the next age. unfair mario
    age of war 3 | age of war | unfair mario 2 | cubefield | happy wheels | tank trouble

    ReplyDelete
  16. A good blog. Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing
    duck life 3 | Slither io |Red Ball 3 |
    gmail sign in | gmail login |

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails