Friday, August 13, 2010

Ice Cream Fridays: Brown Butter Candied Bacon Ice Cream


Welcome to another edition of Ice Cream Fridays. Every Friday you can look forward to a new ice cream recipe which will hopefully inspire you to break out your old dust covered ice cream maker that is hiding somewhere in a closet (yes, I'm talking about you). Since I'm always looking for inspiration and ideas, feel free to leave me a comment here on my blog or on my facebook page, and let me know what ice cream flavor you would like to see. Who knows, you might just get lucky and it will be featured the following week.

I blame my husband for this flavor. He had checked out my open TasteSpotting site and this recipe caught his eye. He was sold then and there! I on the other hand, was not convinced about adding bacon to an ice cream. But hey, this is my blog, and I can at least try everything once, right? Isn't that what being a food blogger is all about? Trying new things and stepping out of your comfort zone for recipes that you might not have made normally? See, I knew you would all nod your head in agreement.



The ice cream starts by taking some bacon (I used center cut), laying it out on a foil covered baking sheet and sprinkling it generously with brown sugar. The bacon is baked until dark and caramelized. Once crisp, it is set aside to cool and firm up on a baking rack before chopping into little pieces.
Meanwhile I got started on the brown butter ice cream. I made a few ever so slight changes to the recipe to bring out more flavor. First up, butter is melted in a saucepan, I actually let it get brown (the recipe did not mention this step) before adding in brown sugar and half-and-half. Once the mixture is hot, you proceed as you do with any custard based ice cream. After the mixture has thickened, I strained it into the rest of my half and half and added brandy, vanilla, and cinnamon. This mixture is then chilled before churning it in an ice cream maker until thick. During the last few minutes, the cooled, caramelized bacon bits are added.

So, what did we think? Well, despite all of my reservations, I have to give credit where credit is due, this was surprisingly delicious! My husband loved this flavor (it doesn't get more "manly" than with bacon),  and my boys loved it as well. I thought the base was amazing with the brown butter flavor and I did like the crunch the bacon provided, but was slightly thrown off by the smokiness left after each bite. The only one who absolutely did not care for this flavor was my teenage daughter. She was totally revolted after her first and only bite. Will I be making this ice cream again? Maybe. In the right entertainment setting, it could be fun to serve, but I certainly won't be stocking it in my freezer. If you are adventurous go ahead, give it a try, and let me know what you think about this one!




Brown Butter Candied Bacon Ice Cream 
(adapted from Coolhaus Ice Cream Truck and as featured on TasteSpotting)
(Printable Recipe)


Ingredients:

For the bacon:
5 strips bacon (I used center cut)
approx. 2 tablespoons brown sugar

For the ice cream base:
3 tablespoons (45 g) salted butter
3/4 cup (170 g) packed dark brown sugar
2 3/4 cups (675 ml) half-and-half
5 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons brandy (whiskey or dark rum will work too)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Preparation:

For the bacon: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the strip of bacon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over each strip of bacon.  Bake for 12 -16 minutes. Midway during baking, flip the bacon strips over and drag them through the dark, syrupy liquid that's collected on the baking sheet. Continue to bake until deep brown (watch carefully during the last few minutes). Remove from oven and cool the strips on a rack.
Once crisp and cool, chop into little pieces.

For the ice cream base: Melt the butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Cook the butter, watching carefully, until caramel colored. Stir in the brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups of the half-and-half.
In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, then gradually add some the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens. Pour the cooked custard through a strainer into a large bowl containing the rest of the half-and-half (1 1/4 cups). Add brandy, vanilla and cinnamon (if using) and whisk together.

Chill the mixture for about 5 hours in the refrigerator. Once thoroughly chilled pour into ice cream maker and chill according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the bacon bits during the last couple minutes of churning, or stir them in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.

19 comments:

  1. I love bacon anything! My friend and I make chocolate chip bacon cookies every year around Christmas time, and sometimes she will make us candied bacon sandwiches on cinnamon bread. They are both divine, much like I imagine this ice cream is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Idee von Deinem Mann, Susi. Ich koennte mir aber auch nicht vorstellen, dass ich die Kombi mit dem Bacon moegen wuerde. Die Brown Butter base auf jeden Fall. Viellecicht kann man da gerostete Nuesse anstatt des Bacons zugeben. Schoenes Wochenende!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had an ice cream maker, I would make a batch of this for my husband--today. You are right, it does sound like a guy thing. You keep surprising me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are going to feature ice cream every friday. That's such a fun feature:) I've been seeing a lot of ice cream containing bacon lately and I have to admit that I am really curious about it. I do love bacon! I'm glad to hear that your husband loved it!! It definitely seems like a very manly ice cream.

    Off to catch up on all your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing! I've seen bacon used in lots of non-traditional dishes (cookies, ice cream) and have not been adventurous enough to try them. I love bacon, so one day I may. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you gone over the top :-). This one sounds other worldly good. Bacon in Ice Cream? who'd have ever thunk it. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooh, bacon ice cream? i have to get on board with that, practically my two fave ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... you are adventurous... I am not sure if I wouldever try this combination, but it sounds really yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister has been BEGGING me to make bacon ice cream! I have refused her time and time again. I am also a teenage girl and I think I will probably have the same reaction as your daughter. Who knows, maybe one day I'll give into her; I'll be sure to use this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of the brown butter ice cream! And I would surely give it a try with the bacon. I have been seeing bacon in all kind of desserts. It's a strange and masculine trend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How unique! I would have been hesitant to try this...but after your glowing review, I would have to give it a try. Bacon has been making its way into all types of desserts, and I can't imagine why ice cream shouldn't be one of them. Just found your site today, and I love what I'm seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made bacon ice cream a couple summers ago and absolutely loved it, now I'm craving it again, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa momma... this looks sooooo good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the brown butter in these, my husband would love the bacon. Definitely would make us both happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I'm brave enough to make this flavor. I'm with your teenage daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a whole meal in a scoop! I think I'd be fighting my husband for this flavor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, this look delicious! And so beautiful! Your photographs are gorgeous.
    I've recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think :) www.prettygoodfood.com
    Thanks, and Happy Cooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails