Monday, August 16, 2010

Peas and Carrots "German Style"


Peas and carrots mixed together always bring me back to my childhood. It was my absolutely favorite vegetable my mom prepared, and to this day, it holds a special place in my heart. It is a super kid friendly vegetable mix, and my children have loved it since they were little babies and were able to start eating table food. This is another one of my mom's recipes that I made sure to acquire as soon as I moved out, and it has been a staple in our home ever since.

The dish is reminiscent of creamed vegetables without the heaviness. It starts by sauteing diced onions in a bit of olive oil. Cleaned, chopped carrots are added and sauteed for a minute. A little bit of water is added along with a vegetable bouillon cube, salt, and pepper. Frozen peas are thrown into the mix, and everything is cooked until the carrots are soft, but still have a bit of bite left to them (nothing worse than mushy vegetables). A couple tablespoons of heavy cream along with freshly chopped parsley add the finishing touch. This recipe is certainly not difficult to fix, chopping the vegetables will be the hardest "chore" in this dish. After that, it is finished in no time.

I especially like to serve this along side mashed potatoes or simple boiled potatoes and a protein. Anything from a steak, to chicken or pot roast will be delicious. It is a very mild vegetable that is always incredibly well received, and despite the few ingredients, it tastes fresh and flavorful. So, if you are still guilty of heaving canned peas and carrots in your pantry, go ahead, and try this from scratch version, you might never go back to store bought again!


Peas and Carrots "German Style"

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups carrots, diced
1 cup water
1 vegetable bouillon
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion to the olive oil and saute until the onion turns translucent and slightly soft. Add the carrots and cook for another minute. Add water, vegetable bouillon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, add the frozen peas, turn down heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until the carrots have the desired consistency. Add the heavy cream and parsley, taste for seasonings and serve!

A Susi's Kochen und Backen Family Recipe

18 comments:

  1. I think this is the best looking peas and carrots I've ever seen! I love all your additions. I will definitely keep this in mind next time I need a veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No such can of vegetables has ever graced my pantry and I have to say although it is a classic, the combination of peas and carrots has never appealed to me. You certainly make it sound enticing though. I do like both vegetables, so maybe I'll follow your lead and try them together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great veggie dish! I love how you take something so simple and make it fantastic with a just a few additions. Thanks for sharing!

    By the way, I love your photo setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your lighter handling of "creamed" vegetables. Your version sounds delicious and will be appreciated by many. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are the only German kids not liking that dish. Isn't that something? They just refuse to eat cooked carrots. So, they have their peas with butter, onions and prosciutto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids would always eat the peas and leave the carrots! Maybe they would have eaten them if prepared this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever seen peas and carrots look this good. I wish I knew you awhile back when I was introducing my children to vegetables. This surely would have been a winner.

    Really, this is a really great way to serve up peas and carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great veggie dish! Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just brought me to my childhood, I'm from Poland and we always used to eat peas and carrots prepared like that, my mom always used to make them as a side dish for big family dinners on Sundays. Yummy now I want to go home so my mommy can make it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the vegetable bouillon cube necessary? I don't have any. My 12 month old refuses peas, and most other foods :(. Maybe she would like this. If she didn't I know I would. Thanks for sharing a family favorite. I always find it fascinating to read what others grew up eating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. M, the vegetable bouillon is VERY necessary, as this where most of the flavor comes from. I have to admit that I use a German brand that is all natural but have had also good luck with this brand:
    http://tinyurl.com/34fawfn
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/373hmg2
    I use a lot of their products (and no, they are not paying me to say this) and love them over conventional bouillon cubes, they are extremely flavor full. You don't have to necessary order them online since many supermarkets carry them as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!

    kids games , friv2 , jogos de friv , juegos.com , juegos de matar zombbies
    , juegos de un show mas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m really impressed with your writing skills and also
    with the layout on your weblog. Is thiss a paid
    theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rarfe to
    see a nice blog like this one nowadays.
    obat penyakit gagal jantung kongestif
    penyebab sesak nafas saat malam hari
    obat herbal kanker vulva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious! I've never liked peas or carrots, but after making this recipe, I'm a new believer :) Thank you for such a great way to prepare these vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are amazing! My friends grandma made them years ago for us and I’d been looking for the recipe ever since. Staple item, must try!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails