Thursday, May 13, 2010

Black and White Cookies


I grew up with Black and White cookies or rather just white cookies. In Germany they were called "Amerikaner". Imagine my delight after moving to the East Coast and finding the same cookies I had loved so much as a child displayed at every bakery.

I've been looking for a good recipe for a while and when I finally found it inside my Martha Stewart: Cookies book I was thrilled. The recipe is quick, baking time is short, and frosting them is easy, even for a novice.  The only departure from the recipe is that I made the cookies "normal" sized, rather then the "mini" version which is what the book calls for. To do so, I used my large ice cream scoop which worked very well.


These cookies are soft and delicious and the chocolate and vanilla frosting are fitting toppings together. It was fun to watch my kids decide to eat either the chocolate or vanilla side first, but never take a bite that included both of the flavors at the same time. It is a fantastic, easy, kid friendly cookie that I will be making many more times.

I hope you'll give this one a try and your family will enjoy it as much as we did!


Black and White Cookies
~makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies~

Ingredients:
For the cookies:
 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk

For the icing:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water, plus more if needed
1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Make cookies: Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.

Put butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar; mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk.

Drop cookies with ice cream scoop (or rounded tablespoon) onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until bottoms turn golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.

Make icing: Whisk confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and the water in a small bowl until smooth. Add more water, if needed, to achieve a consistency slightly thicker than honey. Transfer half the icing to a small bowl. Stir in cocoa powder; thin with water if needed.

Spread white icing on half of each cookie's flat side and cocoa icing on other half. Let stand until set, 30 minutes. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Adapted from: Martha Stewart

6 comments:

  1. My kids would love these! Thanks for posting! Your photos look nice and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies sound very good. I printed out the recipe for my cookie file. I only bake cookies during the Christmas season--don't ask me why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grapefruit - thank you!

    Sage Trifle - too funny, I do bake cookies all year long but the ones I bake during the year will never make an appearance on my Christmas cookie list. I reserve very special ones to bake only once a year! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susi, you did a really great job with these cookies. When I was small our bakery made saucer size versions of this cookie. They were wonderful. Yours sounds wonderful as well. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, thank you, you are too kind. The ones I had as a kid were bigger as well and I remember them being so good :o) My Opa (Grandpa) still bakes them on special occasions for all the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails