Monday, April 19, 2010

Caprese Salad My Way


I've been making caprese salad for a long time. The regular one that is, with the big slices of juicy ripe tomatoes, fresh salt brined mozzarella (Trader Joe's sells them for a great price), fresh basil, and last but definitely not least, a drizzle of high quality olive oil. This salad has always been a summer favorite for us. In fact, there is nothing better then a big plate of this along with some fresh crusty bread and a good glass of red wine. As an added bonus, this salad is so light and refreshing tasting which makes it the perfect meal on a hot summer's night.

Insalata Caprese (as it is called in Italy), is a simple salad from the Italian region of Campania. The dish is also known as Tricolore salad due to it's three colors, which mimic the Italian Flag.


Usually, I make it the way it is supposed to be with the big slices of tomatoes and mozzarella but every once in a while when they are out of season or not very good looking I turn to sweet, juicy grape or cocktail tomatoes. Unfortunately you just can't present this salad with tiny tomatoes they way it is supposed to look so I came up with my version of this classic.

This is always a big hit, no matter if I serve this for the family or when we have guests. I haven't met anyone who didn't love this salad. I hope you will give this a try for your next summer meal.



Caprese Salad My Way

Ingredients:
Grape or Cocktail Tomatoes, washed and halved or quartered
Red Onion, finely sliced
Fresh Mozzarella, cubed
Fresh Basil, chiffonade cut

Salt and Pepper
Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
On a platter or in a large bowl add your tomatoes and red onion. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar. Toss lightly.

Layer your cubed mozzarella on top and drizzle with olive oil (again about 2 tablespoons). Scatter your basil chiffonade on top and serve.


1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy. Clicked on this post from your sausage manicotti. Wow what a difference in your pictures. I love seeing the improvement.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails