Friday, April 9, 2010

Susi's German Pasta Salad


Growing up in Germany I was introduced to this pasta salad as a young girl. I guess my mom found the recipe sometime in the 70's in a magazine and it has been a family favorite ever since.
I always looked forward to my mom making this salad. I remember us (my sisters and I) putting dibs on the leftovers if there were any. I introduced my own family to this recipe many years ago and it has been just as well received. My children will also fight over the leftovers, just like I did many years ago with my own siblings.


This pasta salad is made quickly and tastes great with just about anything from grilled chicken, to pork, beef, or sausages. Sometimes I even leave the ham out and make it a true vegetarian option depending on who is eating.  Because of the mild flavor of the canned peas and carrots this salad has proven over and over that it is a favorite with kids even if they are not too keen on vegetables. The dressing isn't as rich tasting due to the sour cream content which will cut the heaviness of the mayonnaise but I've also made this salad time and time again with low fat ingredients with the same great results.

I hope you'll give my German version a try, maybe it will become a family favorite for you as well.




Susi's German Pasta Salad
Ingredients:
8 ounces Elbow Pasta 
1 (15 ounce) can Baby Peas, drained (I prefer Le Sueur Brand)
1 (15 ounce) can Baby Carrots, drained and sliced (Le Sueur Brand)
1 (6 ounce) pack boiled Ham, diced
1/2 cup pickles, diced
2 tablespoons pickle juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Dressing:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon pickle juice
Pinch of sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and place in a large bowl. Immediately add the pickle juice and vinegar, toss to coat the pasta. Let cool slightly, then add the peas, the carrots, ham, and pickles. Mix together.

For the dressing add sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together. Taste for seasonings.

Add the dressing to the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving. 

A Susi's Kochen und Backen Family Recipe 



16 comments:

  1. This is my favorite side dish ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so versatile! Would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh mamma mia... pasta with white vinegar and sour cream and mayonnais and sugar and also mustard? only one comment with smile: "de gustibus non disputandum est"! P.S. but simple is the best wenn wir cuchen...
    I suggest: italian pasta (pennette, sedani) with original extra vergine italian oil (toscana z.b.), italienische kleine tomaten, with also schwarzen oliven and basilico STOP: you can see and translate the recipe on: http://www.vogliadicucina.com/content/view/279/2/ Thank you and Guten appetit (^__*) Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great - one question: did you use dill pickles or sweet gherkins? Thanks for sharing all your lovely recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thanks for stopping by :o) I use dill pickles in this recipes. Hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do!

      Delete
  5. I love this recipe! Reminds me of when I lived in Wiesbaden Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thank you! I'm glad this salad brought back some memories :-)

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic. The only thing I do is omit the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very close to my German mother in law’s. I don’t remember sour cream or pickle juice in the recipe. We also added about a cup of small cubed diced knockwurst.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this salad. The only german pasta salad for me, and my german partner approves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, do you use American sour cream or German sour cream? Because when I use sour cream in Germany, it's more sour than American ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just like the pasta salad from the snell imbiss. Memories from my childhood, thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog. your blog was very helpful for me. Here I want to introduce my business which is related to Custom Chinese Takeout Boxes. Chinese takeout boxes not only use for Chinese meals and dishes you can get them for any kind of meal. These boxes make it easy to have food anywhere and anytime.Rush Packaging is offering you the best customization of your Wholesale Chinese Takeout Boxes in any custom style and design. We are here to give you the best customer services that are affordable and durable for your boxes.
    Custom Coffee Packaging
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Burger Boxes Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails