Monday, June 21, 2010

Boursin Creamed Spinach


There isn't a lot of things grilled that I like better than a great cut of steak! Yes, I love red meat, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Everything in moderation, right? Anyway, with a good steak you have to have sides that either compliment or stand up to the dominance of beef. Spinach is one of those dishes, maybe that's why you frequently find creamed spinach or spinach salad served along side at many steak houses as well. 

I've already proclaimed my love for spinach on this blog, but just in case you missed that, yes, I could eat spinach at least once a week and be happy. I grew up eating spinach, fresh spinach from my mom's garden, and have loved it ever since. Usually, I prefer my spinach either in salad form or just lightly sauteed and seasoned. Sometimes I will also make a creamed version which is one of my favorites but higher in calories, and with that, only reserved for the occasional meal. 


When I saw this recipe in "Cuisine at Home", I knew I had to try it out and couldn't wait for our next steak dinner to do so. Creamed spinach is taken to the next level with the addition of Boursin Cheese, and preparation is quick with the use of frozen chopped spinach. The flavor is further enhanced by adding a bit of lemon zest to the dish which is topped with a bread crumb mixture before baking it. The recipe itself doesn't make a lot, but was enough to feed our family of five with no problem. A little of this rich dish goes a long way.

This was a wonderful recipe that really showcased the spinach in a great way. I will most definitely serve this again with another steak dinner, but next time I will try it with fresh spinach instead of frozen, I think it would be even more tasty this way. So if you love spinach and have Popeye on speed dial, I hope you'll make this recipe for your next steak house meal!


Boursin Creamed Spinach
~makes about 2 cups~

Ingredients:
For the Spinach Filling:
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 package (5.2 ounces) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of excess moisture
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
Salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and ground nutmeg to taste

For the Crumb Topping:
2/3 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs (made from 2 slices firm white bread)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a shallow 2-cup baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.

Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat until soft, 5 minutes.
Add flour and stir to coat onion. Cook about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk milk and cream into onion mixture, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer sauce for 1 minute.
Stir in Boursin, a little at a time, until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.
Add spinach, Parmesan, zest, and seasonings. Transfer spinach mixture to prepared baking dish.

Combine crumbs, 1 tablespoon butter, oil, salt and pepper. Top spinach with crumbs, pressing them to adhere. (Dish may be covered and chilled at this point to be baked later.) 
Place dish on a baking sheet; bake until crumbs are golden and sauce is bubbly, 20-25 minutes.

Adapted from: Cuisine at Home

10 comments:

  1. My daughter lives of the garlic Boursin during school. She loves it on her Broetchen. Die Kalorien sind hier aber auch bestimmt mit einem creamed Spinach zu vergleichen, oder? Ist aber bestimmt auch viel leckerer.
    Tolle Idee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Boursin Cheese and this is such a great way to make a little dull Spinach pop...Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love creamed spinach, but adding the cheese - YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had spinach like that before. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten - Boursin und Broetchen, lecker! This is definitely not a light side dish but every once in a while a splurge is nice.

    polwig - the spinach sure did pop in this dish but I really loved the crunchy bread crumbs on top as well.

    Deborah - the cheese just made it even more yum!

    Dave - you should try it. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have a creamed cauliflower recipe ready for tonight and I made a smoothie last night. Hadn't even been to your blog until this morning, how funny! Cookin' the same stuff, just different ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that spinach ROCKS! I have to bookmark this and make it for a special occasion. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this last night & loved it! Trying the bacon-spinach mashed potatoes next. I've also got my eye on those tequila refried beans...

    Thanks, Susi!

    --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim - I'm so glad you liked this. Hope you enjoy the bacon-spinach mashed potatoes just as much! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails