Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tequila Refried Beans


I love refried beans. My favorite being the ones full of bacon fat or lard. While those beans are incredibly smooth and flavorful, they are certainly not very healthy. Occasionally we do break down and eat them this way or have them at a restaurant prepared the traditional way, but since we eat Mexican food quite often it is just not an option to have weekly. 

In the past, I admit that a lot of times I've taken the easy route and just purchased canned refried beans at the grocery store. They are pretty decent tasting and really no one complained about having them. When I fixed the shrimp tacos, my magazine Cuisine at Home had a recipe for tequila refried beans featured on the same page. Tequila and refried beans? Really? But hey, I was intrigued, the picture looked good and the recipe sounded pretty awesome as well, so I went ahead and gave them a try.


Well, I'm sorry to say it, but I won't be supporting the canned refried bean companies any longer. I have found the most perfect recipe. I even have to go as far as saying that it might be more flavorful then beans prepared with lard. Considering that it is quick and easy to fix (it relies on canned pinto beans), is high in fiber, and much lower in fat then traditional prepared beans I find this recipe a true keeper. Don't let the tequila scare you, all the alcohol cooks out and it just imparts additional flavor, but if you don't cook with alcohol you could certainly use water or additional chicken broth.

The recipe is cooked in about 15 minutes with very little effort. Topping it with some fresh queso fresco and sliced serrano chiles (which you could leave off) and you have a fantastic show stopper of a recipe. If you love Mexican food as much as we do, then serve this at your next fiesta, your guests will appreciate it!


Tequila Refried Beans

Ingredients:
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons tequila or water
2 (15 ounce each) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
Crumbled queso fresco
Sliced serrano chile (optional)

Directions:
Saute onion in oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, and coriander. Saute 1 minute. Deglaze pan with tequila (or water); reduce until evaporated.

Stir in beans and broth. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Crush beans with a potato masher and cook until soupy, 5 minutes. Keep adding chicken broth if the bean mixture gets too dry until desired consistency is achieved.

Stir in lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Serve with cheese and chile slices.

Adapted from: Cuisine at Home

8 comments:

  1. Gah! You read my mind! I was just thinking about how I could use some cheap tequila we have had sitting around for too long. This looks so delicious ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last night I was telling the boyfriend about how badly I wanted some homemade refried beans. I love them SO much! I was just going to make them plain, but this is so much better. It's decided.. this is my dinner tonight :)
    Though, I'll try it using bagged beans and make it in the slow cooker!
    Thanks a lot for sharing! I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great love of beans--all beans. In fact I have some pinto beans soaking right now, to cook this afternoon. I was planning to use part of them for refried beans. Your recipe came just at the right time, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm queso fresco. I like the serving suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I love me some refried beans! But I don't want to buy tequila just to try these so what I think I'll do is add these spices to my next batch of crockpot refried beans and see if I like it better. I bet I will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking through all of my cuisine at homes and cant find this recipe. I googled it and found your site...so happy. Can you tell me what issue its in? Thx so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you found this tasty. I think I'll be trying it sometime soon also. LOVE refried beans, but these seem extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails