Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Black Bean, Edamame and Wheat Berry Salad


Let me tell you about my newest favorite salad (be warned, you might hear this statement over and over again this summer). Flipping through the pages of my newest Food Network Magazine I came across this picture of a salad that sparked my interest. Mind you, this wasn't a "normal" recipe for the magazine but rather an advertisement for Pompeian Olive Oil and Vinegar. I got all excited upon closer inspection since this salad had two of my favorite ingredients in it - wheat berries  and Edamame.

I told my husband about my find and he didn't share my enthusiasm. In fact he was kind of reserved when he heard about the wheat berries. Of course though, once I'm determined to try something new there is no stopping me and this was no exception. The salad is very filling and full of protein due to the black beans and Edamame and full of fiber due to the wheat berries* , but by adding the tomatoes and vinaigrette it keeps the recipe light and balanced. This salad has summer BBQ and potluck written all over it and since it is a non-mayo based recipe, this is the perfect side dish to bring to any occasion.

I served this alongside Avocado BLT's which made it a wonderful meal. And in case you're wondering how the salad was received by my husband and kids? They LOVED it, as did I. I kept hearing lots of moaning and "Oh, this is so good, you have to make it again". This salad is going into my regular rotation of summer salads and will be making an appearance again soon.

*I found the wheat berries at my local grocery store in their health food bulk section, but you can also find them at other health food stores or even online from Bob's Red Mill.



Black Bean, Edamame and Wheat Berry Salad
~serves 6-8~
Ingredients:
4 cups water
1/2 cup dry wheat berries
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen shelled Edamame, thawed
1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste


Directions:
Combine water and wheat berries in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 55 minutes or until wheat berries are tender. Place in a fine mesh strainer, run under cold water to cool quickly, drain.

Combine the wheat berries with remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance.


7 comments:

  1. this looks SO good but what is Edamame? i'm wondering if that is too fancy for kroger.

    i've scrolled through and found too many good recipes and from scratch which appeals to me so i had to click 'follow this blog' look forward to trying your creations. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog AND following. I hope you'll find some "inspiration" :o)
    Edamame is essentially baby soybeans in their pod. You can't eat the pod and it is most commonly served at Sushi Restaurants. They are so incredibly good for you with vitamins, omega 3, fiber, etc. etc...
    The beans itself has a "nutty" flavor and many regular grocery stores have them in their freezer aisle. I buy mine at Costco usually (since we eat them a lot) and they have them either frozen or in the refrigerated section. Hope this helps :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wheat berries, too! I can't wait to try this when tomatoes are really ripe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting. I new I saw this in Food Network Magazine and looked on their web site and couldn't find the recipe. No wonder since it was in an advertisement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look good. I plan to make it tomorrow. I also located it in my Martha Stewart Magazine. Wouldn't the edamame need to be boiled a bit too? Just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenifer - thanks for stopping by. I bought frozen edamame and just let it un-thaw on the counter. I did not boil it and it tasted fine. Hope you like this salad as much as I did :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails