Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bacon-Spinach Mashed Potatoes


One of my all-time favorite side dishes, one that I could easily eat every week without growing tired of it, is mashed potatoes. I prefer just plain old mashed potatoes made with milk and butter, but every once in a while when I feel adventurous, I go as far as making them with buttermilk, roasted garlic or other add-ins so the rest of the family won't grow tired of them and thinks I made them something different.

This recipe I found yet again in a Cuisine at Home (love this magazine!), and on first glance it almost reminded me of my Colcannon potatoes which I like to make around St. Patrick's Day. I started this dish by switching from Russet Potatoes (which the recipe called for) to Yukon Gold. I firmly believe that if you start with a great tasting potato to begin with, you can easily reduce the butter without losing flavor. The potatoes are cooked along with the garlic, and right before draining, spinach is added to the water to wilt it down. The potato/spinach mixture is then mashed. Then butter, milk, salt, and nutmeg are incorporated. For the final touch, pre-crisped bacon bits and a little bit of heavy cream are added.

This was a fairly simple dish that was full of wonderful flavors. I served this alongside grilled sirloin steaks and fresh green beans, which made this a wonderful Sunday dinner. My whole family loved this side dish as much as the Goat Cheese Polenta I featured earlier in the week. This recipe is definitely a keeper that I will be adding to our regular dinner rotations!


Bacon-Spinach Mashed Potatoes
(adapted from "Cuisine at Home")
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:

6 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
3 garlic cloves, pealed, smashed
1 (9 ounce) bag fresh spinach
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup milk (I used 1 %)
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
Salt to taste

Preparation:

Saute bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.

Boil potatoes and garlic in a large pot of salted water until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes. Just before draining, stir in spinach to wilt. Drain potatoes, garlic and spinach; return to pot and cook over low heat 1-2 minutes to evaporate excess moisture, stirring constantly.

Add milk and butter, mash potatoes until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt, nutmeg and add heavy cream. Stir in bacon bits before serving.


10 comments:

  1. You know, it was only about 6 months ago that I spinach cooked from fresh leaves, rather than from a frozen block. I was surprised to find that I liked it. I've been looking for other ways to use cooked spinach, and this one sounds awesome. I love potatoes and bacon, so I think I'll love it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now those are great mashed potatoes!! the spinach is a great touch, and then you just push them over the edge with bacon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Susi, this one really strikes a chord with me. I could (and probably will) eat this AS my dinner. Throw some cheese in there and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those potatoes look wonderful! I'm in love with the addition of spinach; spinach is SO tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These potatoes look beyond wonderful. The spinach takes them over the top. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tolle Idee um den Kids Spinat unterzumogeln. Kartoffelbrei essen wir sehr gerne, meisst muss aber auch noch eine Sosse dazu. Das ist wohl der deutsche Zusatz, oder?
    Allerliebste Gruesse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some fancy mashed potatoes! Seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a potato person. This appeals to me more than that delicious ice cream which is fabulous looking. Potatoes with spinach still win. I pass on the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! Drool, much? They also reminded me of colcannon potatoes, which I still need to try, and they look superb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails