Monday, July 26, 2010

Bruschetta with Rosemary, Roasted Plum Tomatoes, Ricotta, and Prosciutto


I love looking through bon appétit magazine. Many of their recipes have a certain special touch that make them stand out above other recipe magazines. I do have to admit though, only very seldom will I make a dish from their pages since some of their recipes seem almost intimidating to me, and a little fancier than what I would serve on a daily basis. But, if you are looking for wonderful meals to serve when entertaining guests, this is most definitely a magazine to turn to.

Always on the look out for new dishes, I vowed to take more advantage of all of my magazine subscriptions, which includes bon appétit. So when I received my August 2010 edition, I settled in by the pool and started marking recipes that looked interesting. I couldn't overlook many of their wonderful recipes in this edition that take advantage of the abundance of summer vegetables, which is when today's recipe caught my eyes.


Let's just say this dish is one for the senses. It is crunchy and creamy, salty and sweet and honestly one of the best things I have made in a while. The dish is certainly not hard to make, but does require a little bit of time. Tomatoes are marinated in olive oil and rosemary and then roasted in the oven for 30 minutes. Sliced baguette is brushed with leftover tomato marinade before toasting them in the oven as well. Smooth ricotta is spread on top of the toasted bread slices before layering the prosciutto, roasted sweet tomatoes, and finally, a tiny bit of baby arugula for garnish.

Words don't do this dish justice. This was a flavor explosion in your mouth, and we could not get enough of it.  I made this recipe for a light lunch on the weekend, and my husband and I enjoyed the bruschetta along with a nice glass of red wine. Perfection!
This dish is going in my permanent files and I can't wait to serve this as an appetizer to guests. This one deserves the highest rating available for sure!


Bruschetta with Rosemary, Roasted Plum Tomatoes, Ricotta, and Prosciutto

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced 
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 large plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), quartered lengthwise
12 1/2-inch-thick diagonally cut baguette slices (each 3 to 4 inches long)
12 tablespoons ricotta cheese, divided
6 thin prosciutto slices, cut in half crosswise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup microgreens or baby arugula

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Stir 6 tablespoons oil, garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in large bowl to blend. Add tomato quarters and stir to coat. Let stand 5 minutes. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lift tomatoes from marinade and arrange, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet (reserve marinade for toasts).

Roast tomatoes until skin is browned and blistered and tomatoes are very tender, about 35 minutes. Cool tomatoes on sheet. Maintain oven temperature.

Meanwhile, arrange bread slices on another rimmed baking sheet. Brush top of each with reserved marinade (including garlic and rosemary bits).

Roast bread until top is golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool toasts on sheet.

Spread 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese on each toast; sprinkle with pepper. Fold prosciutto halves over and place on ricotta. Arrange 2 tomato quarters atop prosciutto. Whisk lemon juice and remaining 1 teaspoon oil in medium bowl to blend; season with salt and pepper. Add microgreens (or baby arugula) and toss to coat. Top bruschetta with greens. Arrange on platter and serve.

Adapted from:  bon appétit


11 comments:

  1. Those look so decadent! My mouth is watering! I have some showers and get-togethers coming up soon so I've been on the hunt for good appetizers to share. This one is definitely a must! I'm absolutely keeping this recipe, can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing, Susi. :)


    Jess
    asugarhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tolle Bilder, Susi. Das Bruschetta ist ganz nach meinem Geschmack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. That is my kind of sandwich. When I read your post, I went and picked up my August Bon Appetit from the coffee table. I hadn't read it yet. I saw this recipe and I have to say, Susi, I like your photographs better than theirs. They have that dramatic lighting going on, which does not really show the sandwich like yours does. Also I'm pretty sure I would have passed over this recipe, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susi, this would be perfect for a brunch. I love roasted tomatoes and prosciutto is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susi your pictures are beautiful!! I love the over the top shot especially.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess - I think they would be fantastic for showers!

    Kirsten - das Rezept war spitze!

    Rocquie - thank you for the compliment!

    M @ Betty Crapper - I love anything with prosciutto and the roasted tomatoes were a league of their own!

    Laura - thank you so much, especially coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i usually like them bite size.. i find it quite hard to consume if they are bigger than bite size.. it tends to fall apart?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this is like a dream. I really want to try this recipe. I actually just tried prosciutto for the first time a couple months ago, and fell in love with it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Here's one of my favorites with prosciutto: Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw these on tastespotting.com and made them for my boyfriend and I last week, and have since made them 3 more times, for family and friends. He's apparently told everyone about them, and has requested them every day. Everyone that's tried them has loved them!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails