Friday, July 9, 2010

Ice Cream Fridays: Coconut-Almond Gelato and Giveway Winner Announcement


Welcome to another edition of Ice Cream Fridays. Every Friday during the next few months (or until I get tired of it) you can look forward to a new ice cream recipe which will hopefully inspire you to break out your old dust covered ice cream maker that is hiding somewhere in a closet (yes, I'm talking about you). Since I'm always looking for inspiration and ideas, feel free to leave me a comment here on my blog or on my facebook page, and let me know what ice cream flavor you would like to see. Who knows, you might just get lucky and it will be featured the following week.

Remember when I told you a few weeks ago that I was so excited about my coconut ice cream flavor that I made two different ice creams containing coconut? Well, today I'm featuring the second one, an Almond Joy Gelato inspired by one of my favorite candy bars.

Really, is there any way to go wrong with coconut, almonds, and chocolate? I didn't think so, and when I found this recipe in yet another fantastic ice cream book, The Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto  I couldn't have been happier.


This recipe starts pretty much like most ice creams I've made in the last few weeks, with a cooked custard. Only difference is, the milk and cream proportions get reversed, which means less fat in the finished dessert. The cooked custard is then cooled in the refrigerator before adding almond extract and coconut. The base is then churned in your ice cream maker, and right before it finishes, toasted almonds and chopped up semi-sweet (or bitter-sweet) chocolate are added to the mix.

This is a great recipe that was really tasty. I enjoyed it and so did my two older kids. Unfortunately my youngest and husband didn't care for it as much as some of the other recipes I have made. If there is one tiny complaint about this recipe it is definitely the "chew-factor". A small portion goes a long way since your jaw will get quite the workout from all the add-ins, but then maybe I'm just a wimp who enjoys a smoother ice cream.

But if Almond Joy is your candy of choice, this is a definite must-make recipe!
(Recipe after the winner announcement)



And now for the  $40.00 csn stores Giveaway Winner which was picked by Random.org:

Congratulations to 

Jessica from Sugar High

csn stores will contact you by email with the certificate code, enjoy your shopping trip!


Coconut-Almond Gelato
(adapted from The Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto)
(Printable Recipe)


Ingredients:

Plain Base (recipe to follow)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 ounces coarsely chopped bitter or semi-sweet chocolate

Preparation:

Make the Plain Base and refrigerate as directed.

After the base has thoroughly chilled gently whisk in the almond extract, then stir in the coconut. Pour the mixture into the container of an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacture's instructions. Add the almonds and chocolate 5 minutes before the churning is completed. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.



Plain Base

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar

Preparation:

In a heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the milk and cream. Place over medium low heat and cook, stirring occasionally so a skin doesn't form, until tiny bubbles start to form around the edges and the mixture reaches a temperature of 170 degrees F.

Meanwhile, in a medium heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in the sugar until it is well incorporated and the mixture is thick and pale yellow. Temper the egg yolks by very slowly pouring in the hot milk mixture while whisking continuously. Return the custard to the saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon and it reaches a temperature of 185 degrees F. Do not bring to a boil.

Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring every 5 minutes or so. to cool the custard quickly, make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and water and placing the bowl with the custard in it; stir the custard until cooled. Once completely cooled, cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.

18 comments:

  1. this is great.. i love these unique ice cream flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would adore this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unique. I love the combination of chocolate, nuts and coconut. I'll wager this is delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. !!!
    I can't believe I won! I've never won anything! This is exciting, I feel like a contestant on the Price is Right! Haha :)
    I love this giveaway, I can't wait to buy some cool new gadget. Thanks so much Susi!!

    You read my mind with this ice cream. I was just telling the man of the house yesterday that I wanted to turn almond joy into ice cream. Your gelato looks delish! I love all the ice cream recipes you share.
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Susi, Hab doch auch immer noch das "Toasted Coconut ice cream" auf der Nachkochliste ud da kommst Du schon mit dem naechsten. Can't keep up. Almond Joy essen meine Tochter und ich unheimlich gerne. Koestlich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That ice cream looks amazing! Perfect for the 40'+ weather we're having here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made2Order - thanks for stopping by!

    Sage Trifle - mine didn't care for it as much.

    Mary - I love unique flavors!

    Jess - enjoy your shopping trip :o) Hopefully you'll find something you can use for your blog!

    Kirsten - da muesst Ihr schneller Eis essen, dann kannst Du weiter machen ;o) Ubrigens, so gerne wie ich Almond Joy esse, ich vermisse doch das deutsche Bounty, das war klasse! Meine Tochter (die aelteste) hat das Eis fast alleine aufgegessen LOL

    Jordan - it IS perfect for the hot weather :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just got an icecream maker at Costco the other week. Can't wait to use it for this recipe. I love almond and coconut! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...very tempting click and recipe...can't wait to giv a try...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to Recipe4Living! Each day this month, we’re giving away a t-shirt to our favorite new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Jessica!

    Susi, I'm loving your ice cream series. However, I don't like Almond Joy candy bars. :( I vote for more cool desserts with some type of chocolate and no more coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sook - thanks for stopping by, I think my ice cream maker is one of my most used appliances at this point!

    Jay - thanks for saying "hi", hope you like it the ice cream when you try it out.

    Kathryn - thanks, I will check it out :o)

    M@Betty Crapper - I'm sorry you don't like coconut, but I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that I think I've got it out of my system (at least for ice cream) and next week's flavor is hopefully a little more to your liking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm, that looks especially inviting after all of the hot weather we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. I've given you an award

    http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gelato is awesome as we've recently discovered. I like that it uses more milk than cream and in lots of recipes, it uses no cream or eggs at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar website pure gelato croydon visit the site to know more about pure gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails