Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zucchini-Creme Soup



Many years ago, the year I had moved out from my parents home, I received a cookbook from my mom and dad. To this day, it is still a cookbook I love looking for recipes in first. The copy of the book has been through many moves, including even one overseas, has food splatters on it, and got soaked in a water main flooding. Still, this book is perfect, and I can't wait to order a copy for my own daughter when she moves out one day. The book is called "Ich helf Dir kochen" by Hedwig Maria Stuber which practically translates to "I'm helping you cook".

Helping me cook, it sure did. I had helped my mom in the kitchen growing up, but was mostly reduced to easy activities like peeling potatoes, cooking the pasta, or stirring the batter for a quick bundt cake. Seasoning the meals was something that my mother always took into her own hands, and she still does  to this day. So after I had moved out, I needed to teach myself how to cook from "scratch". Let's just say, my poor husband got served a lot of Schnitzel, mashed potatoes and mac and cheese (which I had just discovered after meeting him) and for some reason, oodles of white rice and gravy. He didn't seem to mind at the time, since we were young and in love (we are still the latter but certainly not young anymore), although I'm pretty sure he is glad that my recipe repertoire, along with my abilities, have increased over the years.


This soup was actually one of the first recipes I made out of the book. I had received some zucchinis and tomatoes from my mom's garden and was looking for a dish to make. I don't care for eating many soups in the hot summer months, but this one tastes best if made when the plants are ready for harvesting, plus it is so light tasting that I don't mind. The tomatoes definitely need to be at their prime for this soup. The soup takes start to finish about 25 minutes. The zucchini, onions, and garlic are cooked in olive oil for a bit, then fresh tomatoes along with seasonings are added to the mixture. After the vegetables are soft, you can add either chicken or vegetable broth (to keep it vegetarian) and the cooked soup is blended. For the final touch, heavy cream is added to the mixture for a wonderful creaminess.

I love this soup, and so does the rest of my family. I like to serve it for a quick dinner along with sandwiches, but it also makes for a great light lunch. I've certainly come a long way since the days of easy, repetitive meals, but this soup still remains a favorite!


Zucchini-Creme Soup

Ingredients:
1 pound zucchini, cut into cubes
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 vine tomatoes, skinned and chopped*
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

* To skin tomatoes, cut an x in the bottom of the tomato with a sharp knife and submerge in boiling water for a few minutes. Add a few ice cubes, let sit for 30 seconds and drain. The skins should slide right off. 

Directions:
In a large pot, add zucchini and onion to oil. Saute for a couple of minutes, add the garlic, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes more. Add the chicken (or vegetable) broth and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Add the soup to your blender* and puree in a couple of batches, adding the heavy cream to the final batch. Add soup back to the pot and stir to combine.

*Alternately you can leave the soup in the pot, and blend with an Immersion Hand Blender until desired consistency. Add the heavy cream and give it a final whirl.

Adapted from: Ich helf Dir kochen

13 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! I love the drizzled creme! I will have to try this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you did the swirl/fork thing! It's beautiful! I can never get anything that pretty to happen in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna - thank you :o)

    mw - yes, you can make the swirl/fork thing too. :o) It is easy. All you need is a little squeeze bottle with a small opening. You drizzle in circles and then pull through it with a toothpick or a sharp knife. Here is the bottles I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Melting-Decorating-Squeeze-Bottles/dp/B0000VMBF6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279806710&sr=8-4

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty soup that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just what the doctor ordered. Zucchini are starting to come in with a vengeance and and recipes that use them are really welcome. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic, healthy soup! I'm loving this one!
    I love the addition of cream in the end. The designs are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous bowl of soup! And a great use for the freshest of vegetables. Light and summery and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susi - found your blog today through Foodgawker and I had a pound of zucchini from my CSA dying for me to eat it. This soup was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liam - thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you enjoyed the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your spider web pattern. That is cute. I don't think I would have the patience to make it before I ate the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was good! I added fresh basil, fresh oregano, sugar and nutmeg. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anonymous, I'm glad you tried out the recipe and enjoyed the soup. I like your additions of the herbs and seasonings :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails