Monday, July 12, 2010

Goat Cheese Polenta


I'm sure I've mentioned before that I love to "collect" side dishes. To me a great side dish goes a long way in complimenting an otherwise boring cut of meat. It can breath new life into chicken, pork, beef, or seafood. A good side dish is key to completing a meal, no matter if it is a salad, a veggie, or a starchy recipe.

Polenta for me has been mostly reserved for ordering at restaurants. I've made it a few times at home as well, but didn't care for it as much as I did when ordering out. It was almost tasteless and the consistency wasn't as appealing. Well, all that has all changed with this recipe. This Polenta was so good, that if I could have eaten it for a week straight I would have. I'm on a renewed quest to find more recipes for Polenta since it was so well received all the way around.

I found this recipe in a Cuisine at Home weeknight grilling magazine. On first glance the recipe is a very small blip on a page that featured a grilled pork tenderloin. In fact, it would have been easy to overlook if it wouldn't have been for my son who pointed it out to me. At first I wasn't excited, considering my previous experience with cooking Polenta at home, but after looking at the recipe I figured why not.

To make this dish, cornmeal is cooked in chicken broth and milk until it has reached the desired consistency. A generous helping of goat cheese, which added a little bit of tartness, and a little heavy cream for the final touch make this recipe irresistible. It was smooth, creamy and decadent all at the same time. The texture was spot-on as well. Definitely a restaurant worthy dish that I would have no problem serving to company. I served this along side grilled pork tenderloin which was a wonderful accompaniment.

The whole family could not get enough of this Goat Cheese Polenta, and all I had to account for was empty bowls after the meal. I can't wait to make this again, it was that good!


Goat Cheese Polenta
(adapted from "Cuisine at Home")
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used 1%)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup heavy cream

Preparation:

Bring broth, milk, and salt to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, then gradually whisk in cornmeal. Cook until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in goat cheese and cream.

12 comments:

  1. I've just come across your blog and love it! Its completely making me want an ice cream maker.

    This polenta looks wonderful. Goats cheese together with polenta sounds phenomenal. I too have had bad experiences with making polenta. When I get the guts to give it another try I'll be using this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val - thanks for stopping by! I hope you like the polenta if you do make it, we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love polenta. Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the recipes in Cuisine at Home. Your version looks and sounds wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good...I must attempt it soon ...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susi, this looks great. I love goat cheese and cream makes everything better. I need to do a better job of having sides. I'm going to look to you for inspiration in the sides department (and ice cream as well). Does ice cream count as a side?

    ReplyDelete
  7. mw and Jay - let me know how it turns out and if you liked it :o)

    Mary - thanks so much, I love Cuisine at Home since I think their recipes are a little different and that is very appealing to me

    M @ Betty Crapper - thank you :o) Ice cream always counts as a side or even a meal when it is this hot :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love polenta - but I've been having the hardest time finding in the grocery store lately! Now I need to look really hard, because this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love polenta - especially a cheesy one! I never had it with goat cheese. Sounds insanely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually just try polenta at restaurants too...guess I'll have to give it a "go" at home, love the photo - The blue really makes the polenta pop, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks delicious. i could eat it off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails