Friday, July 2, 2010

Ice Cream Fridays: Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream


Welcome to another edition of Ice Cream Fridays. Every Friday during the next few months (or until I get tired of it) you can look forward to a new ice cream recipe which will hopefully inspire you to break out your old dust covered ice cream maker that is hiding somewhere in a closet (yes, I'm talking about you). Since I'm always looking for inspiration and ideas, feel free to leave me a comment here on my blog or on my facebook page, and let me know what ice cream flavor you would like to see. Who knows, you might just get lucky and it will be featured the following week.


This weeks flavor was solely inspired by blueberries on sale everywhere. There was no way to pass up the gorgeous bounty at every store in the area.
This ice cream won me over solely on ease of preparation yet again. I don't mind making a custard and love the smoothness it lends to many ice creams, but when faced with standing over a stove for a while, or just mixing it up, ease will always win out, so I have more time to spend with my kids while they are on summer break.

I can't promise you that you will get by without turning on your stove for this one, but it is quick, painless, and doesn't require a lot of attention on your part. Fresh blueberries are added to a pot along with sugar and water, brought to a boil, removed from the heat source, and then steeped for about 30 minutes (see, painless). After that you add the whole mixture to a blender and let it rip until smooth. Strain it through a fine mesh strainer, and set it in your fridge for several hours. This was the "hard" part. After the blueberry mixture is thoroughly chilled, all you do is add heavy cream and fresh lemon juice and freeze in your ice cream maker. That's it!


This ice cream was fantastic for something that you wouldn't ordinarily find at any old grocery store. I loved that it only called for 1 cup of heavy cream for the whole batch rather than up to 2 cups that most other ice cream recipes call for. The most appealing aspect of this ice cream had to be the color though. It looked stunning in the book where I found it, and even better in real life. This is most definitely staying on my radar for blueberry season. If you are a big fan of blueberries, then this one is a must to try out!


Blueberries and Cream Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups (8 oz/ 250g) fresh blueberries
3/4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) water 
1 cup (8 oz/ 250 g) sugar
1 cup (8 fl oz/ 250 ml) heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions:
In a heavy saucepan, combine the fresh blueberries, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally too help dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes to steep.

Transfer the blueberry mixture to a blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.

Add the cream and lemon juice to the blueberry puree and stir to combine.

Pour the mixture in to an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving.

20 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe. And I agree with you, the color is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mw - I love it too, they came in 4 colors and I couldn't pass them up

    Rocquie - I think it is so cool when you cook something and you end up with the coolest color ever and all without added food coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scrumptious flavor for ice cream! And it is so gorgeous and vibrant! I love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colour is just fantastic..!! your ice-cream looks really delicius..!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a bowl of that now. The color is so very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious, Susi. Ohne Eier, sehr gut, das ist immer so eine unnoetige Arbeit. Habe auch gerade zwei Eis hergestellt, Mint Chocolate Chip und Mexican Chocolate. Ist fuer Sonntag.
    Und hier kommt noch ein Witz fuer Dich:
    Treffen sich ein Italiener, ein Franzose, ein Brasilianer und ein Engländer am Flughafen. Sagt der Engländer: "Laßt uns noch auf den Argentinier warten, der kommt auch gleich!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinnamon-Girl - it is truly delicious

    El taller de Curra - thank you :o)

    M @ Betty Crocker - the color is smashing! Wish all my ice creams had such a stunning color.

    Kirsten - Mint chocolate chip und mexican chocolate? You were busy! I'm hoping you are posting about them!
    Klasse Witz! Wir stellen den Wecker fuer morgen frueh! Go Deutschland!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the color with your pretty polka dot bowl -makes we want an ice cream maker now. Cast iron skillet and an ice cream maker - better cross my fingers extra hard, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Foo - I have never used my ice cream maker as much as this year and now I'm a total ice cream snob. I had store bought the other day and I couldn't eat it LOL Only the high end stuff will do. It's a curse, I'm telling you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unglaublich. Wie gerne waeren wir jetzt daheim zum Feiern. Meine Fahne bleibt auch morgen vorm Haus!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirsten - kannst die Fahne gleich bis naechsten Sonntag haengen lassen ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Blueberries are delicious, and the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fantastic recipe and your photos of it are perfect. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Fridays on your blog :) This ice cream looks delicious! Ice cream flavors you can't find easily in the store are my favorite to make homemade. PS, loved watching the Germany game this morning...I think they will win it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a wonderful recipe; will have to give it a try.

    Blueberries are also really good for you. One of the healthiest foods you can put in your mouth, in fact.

    That doesn't turn ice cream into health food, of course. But it might help make it a bit less of a 'guilty' pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely LOVE blueberries. And blueberry ice cream sounds great. I'm going to get started on it right now so I can have some tomorrow night! I might add in some dark chocolate chunks at the end. Chocolate and blueberry go so great together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally pinned, such a pretty ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unglaublich. Wie gerne waeren wir jetzt daheim zum Feiern. Meine Fahne bleibt auch morgen vorm Haus!!!!
    ve may bay di Thanh Do

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails